Monday, July 26, 2010

Birthday Thoughts

Last week was my birthday (thanks to all wellwishers!). This birthday I continued an idea I've had for a while. With each passing year I only want to get stronger and healthier, even as people my age trend towards carrying that extra ten pounds around the gut and sacrificing a certain percentage of their health for their careers.

This year, with the Kung Fu Body program, I can honestly say that I'm stronger than ever. The thing that I'm most thrilled about though, is that I haven't gotten all pumped up and big. For someone of my body type, it's pretty easy to make a lot of muscle. Unfortunately most of it just gets in the way of functional, movement based strength.

Here's a photo I took on my birthday in my favorite Shao Lin Stance:

This is exactly where I want to be right now. There's certainly less tone than PCP will give a person, but the core strength that you can't see in that photo is off the charts. I'm also surprised by the shape of my chest. Usually my chest gets really big and bubbly but on KFB it has kind of thinned out to the sides. Must be all the punches and elbow strikes, I'm still trying to figure out how it's all working under the skin.

Anyway, what I want to leave people with is the idea that you're not destined for a slow slide into out of shape shlubiness as you enter your 30s. If anything, it's the best time to finally master your condition, as you'll probably have a lot more routine and rhythm in your life that is essential to maintaining a fitness program. No more excuses, just a little time and sweat!

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I like that body better than the PCP body. Are those kids shorts? I might have to start shopping in the childrens' section too.

    ReplyDelete